AWARDS 2012 CASE STUDY: Category 14: 'Getting Welsh business online' for Google UK by Culture Goup
October 19, 2012
Getting Welsh Business Online increased the awareness of online marketing among small businesses in Wales over a three month period in 2012.
Why focus on Wales?
- 60 per cent of the 204,000 business in Wales are SMEs (two per cent above the UK average)
- As many as 40 per cent of SMEs in Wales have no online presence
- 64 per cent of these SMEs are located within an hour's drive of Cardiff
What were the goals?
- Raise awareness of the opportunity that SMEs are missing if they don't market their business online.
- Offer practical support through one-to-one sessions and workshops, to help improve online marketing efforts.
- Engage partners to contribute and share content and advice, creating a sustainable ecosystem of support.
How was it promoted?
- Launch event for 600 people
- More than 400 pieces of online content
- 20,000 pieces of (bi-lingual) literature
- 17 local partners to syndicate content
- A relationship with Welsh Government (and their database of 25,000 businesses)
What were the results?
- 36 million people reached with PR coverage via TV, radio, press
- 420k+ people reached and educated through our content
- 1600+ Welsh SMEs trained by Google Advisers
- Ongoing Google Training sessions, provided at no cost, by local agencies.