How to get 1000 more Twitter followers: BNI Tip of the week
We got asked by HARO to send in advice to this journalist John Brandon
I LOVE this enquiry - it gives a real opportunity to show the advisors from the 'gurus -with-no-practical-expertise'. Here's our response.
I have about 4,000 followers on Twitter now (jmbrandonbb) but want to test getting to 5,000. But not just for the raw numbers -- I want to measure the stickiness. Followers who also click links and re-share, etc.
Twitter tips to grow followers:
- Post a ratio of 8 retweets to 2 original tweets [Guy Kawasaki's tip].
- Post your original tweets 3 times per day at different times to take advantage of timezones when different people are online.
- Most people in business look to Twitter to get tips, hints and links to interesting articles.
- Stay in your niche and share relevant links that are meaninful for your audience.
Target new followers by joining tweet chats:
- Follow and RT people in the tweet chats - it's an easy way to get new followers who understand Twitter and will RT your observations. #B2BChat is a good one I go to #BlogChat is another one that has a huge membership.
- Go through your Linked In connections and follow the ones who have Twitter listed [sadly I think this is a manual job].
Keep a spreadsheet of your original tweets:
- Note which ones get the most RTs or replies.
- Analyse the type of message in these tweets and create more of the same to encourage greater engagement.
Create content on aggregator websites:
- If you write an article for them they usually tweet it. Their audience is larger than yours. I write for AgencyPost.com and Business2Community for these reasons.
Good news is John is now at 4439 followers today - so only 560 to go to his target.
Any other suggestions?