How to write a winning B2B Awards submission
We’ve spoken to those in the know to find out how to stand out from the competition at business awards – and what to avoid at all costs
- Do demonstrate results: we’re talking metrics, testimonials and hard facts and stats. According to one judge, too many entries fall at the first hurdle by talking up a campaign without mentioning the impact it’s had on ROI.
- Don’t over-package your submission or jam it full of jargon and clichés. ‘We’ve got a unique way of looking at things’ might sound impressive, but it doesn’t actually tell the judges much about your approach. Likewise, adjectives like ‘innovative’ and ‘disruptive’ need to be backed up with solid evidence.
- Do send along visual references to bring your campaign to life. If you have an example of great creative to hand, why not attach it to your submission? Chances are the creative itself will tell a far more compelling story than your description.
- Do keep it clear and to the point. The best awards submissions will have a clear narrative and won’t ramble; when it comes to the words you use, think elegance, charm and pace. The judges have hundreds of entries to get through and will appreciate you making the process as engaging as possible.
- Do make sure you dedicate the requisite time and effort to your entry. If you approach the process as a tick box exercise, chances are you won’t be taking to the stage in November. Leaving it to the last minute and putting the wrong team on the job are also big no-nos.
- Don’t try too hard. An award-winning submission captures the judges’ attention because of the story it tells; gimmicks are likely to turn them off. Style over substance definitely isn’t your objective.
- Don’t press ‘send’ without having a final edit and proof. The odd grammar mistake is inevitable, but consistent misspellings will be harder to overlook. Don’t give the judges any opportunity to move on to the next entry.
- Don’t assume the judges know who you are and what you achieved with that amazing lead gen campaign back in 2014. Put yourselves in their shoes and give them the background context first.
The B2B Marketing Awards will take place on 23 November 2017. The biggest B2B event in Europe, celebrating some of the wildest most outstanding work, talent and achievements across the B2B marketing industry. Join us along with over 800 guests for the biggest B2B night of the year.