DATA FOCUS: How clean is your data?
The importance of cleaning your business data and how to do it
Accurate data is rightly considered one of a business's most valuable assets. But a database is dynamic, it needs managing, checking, refining. Without such care it decays becoming less useful and can even degrade into a positive liability.
Maintaining data accuracy:
- Preserves the brand image
- Enables better business decisions
- Avoids the waste and irritation of duplicate mailings
- Saves time and money
- Ensures a single version of any information held
- Complies with the Data Protection Act.
Data cleansing also plays a large part in combating crime. David Green, business development director at GB Group, warns: There's a huge growth in business fraud where fraudsters invent bogus company names, etc. For fraud prevention, if nothing else, data cleansing is very important.