1 in 5 commercial emails fails to reach the inbox

A staggering one in five commerical emails fails to reach its intended target, according to research from Return Path.

Just 79 per cent of commercial emails sent worldwide will reach their intended target, with the remaining 21 per cent diverting to spam folders or blocked entirely.

The report also revealed global deliverability experienced a slight but steady decline quarter by quarter, with 24 per cent of emails falling short in the fourth term studied.

Australia and the UK boasted the highest inbox placement, averaging 90 per cent and 88 per cent respectively, while the US experienced a below average 73 per cent.

The most improved delivery rates were experienced by Canada – a country that traditionally lags behind the US – with an unprecedented rise of 10 per cent (from 79 per cent in 2015 to 89 per cent in 2016). 

Commenting on the findings, Return Path president, George Bilbery, said: “Reaching the inbox is critical in today’s competitive marketplace. If your emails aren’t seen, you’re missing out on an opportunity to build relationships and generate ROI.

“But hitting the inbox is harder than ever. Email filtering is constantly evolving, as mailbox providers apply increasingly sophisticated algorithms to combat spam and deliver the content their users truly value.”